Jump to content

Abortion overturned


stahleyp
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, ERICOPOLY said:

If people are only born 25% heterosexual, then it's hardly "nature's way" as religious conservatives claim.

 

The species would have died out a long, long time ago if it were 75% homosexual and 25% heterosexual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ERICOPOLY said:

Why is that?

I can take 4 wives.  In fact taking multiple wives is in the Bible.

There are a lot of things in the Bible because it's a book about human nature. That doesn't mean all of the things in the Bible are what we're supposed to do. There is only one guy that you're supposed to follow in the Bible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

There are a lot of things in the Bible because it's a book about human nature. That doesn't mean all of the things in the Bible are what we're supposed to do. There is only one guy that you're supposed to follow in the Bible. 

And what does God say about taking multiple wives?

 

Edited by ERICOPOLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To your point about the Bible being about human nature, I can disregard the sections about marriage being only for "one man and one woman" because it is human nature for majority groups to discriminate against minority groups.  So that's just human nature to claim that the majority way is the best and only way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ERICOPOLY said:

To your point about the Bible being about human nature, I can disregard the sections about marriage being only for "one man and one woman" because it is human nature for majority groups to discriminate against minority groups.  So that's just human nature to claim that the majority way is the best and only way.

That's actually directly from Jesus.

If marriage isn't from God is actually "evil". It goes against our natural desires for multiple partners and is simply a social construct.

"Discrimating" against groups is okah though since that group was only following their evolutionary instincts. You have just be condition to think that's "wrong". There is no right or wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ERICOPOLY said:

Well, the religion is literally called Christianity and not Godianity.  If he speaks for God it's all heresay.  A court would toss it if that's the only evidence of God's word.

Jesus is God incarnate. Do you not know this? I know I didn't earlier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

Dude, are you serious??? 

" take wives for your sons"

It's plural!

Prior sentence.

But then Moses (according to the Bible) asked his officers to just grab young girls off the streets and keep them for themselves, so there's that.  And only for the killing were they to cleanse themselves, implying no crime to stealing child brides (essentially what is know as kidnapping/rape in our society today).

https://biblehub.com/bsb/numbers/31.htm

Edited by ERICOPOLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ERICOPOLY said:

Prior sentence.

But then Moses (according to the Bible) asked his officers to just grab young girls off the streets and keep them for themselves, so there's that.  And only for the killing were they to cleanse themselves, implying no crime to stealing child brides (essentially what is know as kidnapping/rape in our society today).

https://biblehub.com/bsb/numbers/31.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stahleyp said:

Jesus is God incarnate. Do you not know this? I know I didn't earlier. 

The Old Testament never says so, only Son of God references.  There are those who feel there is evidence of the Trinity in the Old Testament, but Creation says the world was created in 6 days.  I think carbon dating of dinosaurs blows a hole in the belief that the story is accurate.  Much of the story cannot be tested (the book claims people witnessed this, or said that) but from what can be objectively examined (dinosaur bones) we can infer that we're either just extremely lucky to find inaccuracy in the only thing we can test, or there is inaccuracy elsewhere as well... up to and including the entire thing being mythology.

Edited by ERICOPOLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ERICOPOLY said:

The Old Testament never says so, only Son of God references.  There are those who feel there is evidence of the Trinity in the Old Testament, but Creation says the world was created in 6 days.  I think carbon dating of dinosaurs blows a hole in the belief that the story is accurate.  Much of the story cannot be tested (the book claims people witnessed this, or said that) but from what can be objectively examined (dinosaur bones) we can infer that we're either just extremely lucky to find inaccuracy in the only thing we can test, or there is inaccuracy elsewhere as well... up to and including the entire thing being mythology.

The Bible also says "Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" 2 Peter 3:8. 

There is a lot of historical evidences in the Bible (historical accuracies, non-Biblical sources mentioning the people in the Bible, etc).

However, the Resurrection cannot be tested. That one does require faith. I believe that happened because it makes the most sense. Why did these devout Jews start following this guy if it didn't happen? Was Jesus just crazy, a liar or what? Why were they willing to die if they knew it was false? If the Resurrection didn't happen, what did happen, exactly?

Like I've said before, you've had a big influence on me about the way I think about it. You mentioning "evolutionary instincts" really opened up my eyes (that and going through Mere Christianity by CS Lewis).

Look at it this way. If God doesn't exist, the "inalienable human rights endowed by our Creator" also don't exist. The only rights is what the government gives us. If the government says it's okay to throw homosexuals or anyone off of a building, it's okay. If the government says it's okay to throw Christians to the lions, that's okay. It's also okay to be a "bigot" because we're all bigots about something. 

There is no moral truth, no goodness, no evil - just the whims of our current desires. I think that is false which led me to walk away from agnosticism and start opening up to religions.  

Edited by stahleyp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ERICOPOLY said:

Prior sentence.

But then Moses (according to the Bible) asked his officers to just grab young girls off the streets and keep them for themselves, so there's that.  And only for the killing were they to cleanse themselves, implying no crime to stealing child brides (essentially what is know as kidnapping/rape in our society today).

https://biblehub.com/bsb/numbers/31.htm

Do Christians follow Moses? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

Eric, when do you think abortion should be illegal (if ever)? 

I have lived my whole life with the government saying that I have no say over whether or not a baby is carried to term.  Now women are in the same boat in some states.  So if I can live with it then so can they.  But some disagree because it is their bodies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

The Bible also says "Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day" 2 Peter 3:8. 

 

Our universe is thought to be 13.7 billion years old.  If you take 6,000 years off of that... it does not reconcile with the age of mankind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

Do Christians follow Moses? 🤔

I rather thought that because God was speaking with him directly in giving the order to take revenge that Moses would feel pangs of conscience if morality has never changed as you previously argued.  Thou shalt not kill was in the 10 commandments and Moses chose to have the men cleansed for the killings, but there is no evidence of morality regarding the taking of child brides in either the commandments or in this passage.

Edited by ERICOPOLY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...