Supreme Court Decisions

Parsad

LOL Everything is about race with this guy. Dont waste your time. In his world if you arent a white male you arent allowed to own a property or a business. In the real world this is unequivocally not true. There has never been a better time to be a non white male in America...

Even from a historical point of view what he said is blatantly wrong.

Right because women could vote in 1850 when the US had laws restricting voting to property owners.

In America women weren't allowed to have a mortgage or Credit Card till 1974 unless it was cosigned by her father or husband.

I'm not saying it didn't exist that way. But you blatantly ignore why some of these things did exist. Also Universal White Male Suffrage didn't exists in the US until 1856. So there was also plenty of "Evil White Males" who couldn't vote as well. It didn't exist in the UK until 1918 (just 10 years before women's suffrage in 1928). It's also easy to examine these things from todays perspective looking back. But you need to look at them through the historical context and cultural lens of the time.

Fact is Women could and did own property for most of history. They also have rights throughout most of history contrary to what most think. An examination of Common Law will show you this.

https://www.thoughtco.com/property-rights-of-women-3529578

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic but I can assure you that American women were allowed to have a mortgage and a credit card - in their own name -before 1974.  What changed in 1974 is that they could not be denied credit based on gender any longer.  There were plenty of solo women borrowers before 1974.

In America women werent allowed to have a mortgage or Credit Card till 1974 unless it was cosigned by her father or husband.

Equal Credit Opportunity Act 1974.

When it comes to voting I think you are misattributing intentions of why women weren't allowed to vote.

In most places (again going off of common law) males right to vote was tied to their service to the state (fire brigades, militia training, the draft, attending caucuses, paying taxes, etc.). As these obligations slowly went away for men it was not blatantly obvious that women should receive the right to vote. Why? Because it was never "free" for men. It always came with a price, and women did not have to prescribe to any of these requirements. But this nuance is largely lost in todays society as modern feminism has taken "historical talking points" and twisted much of them.

What's next? Are you going to say men were legally allowed to beat their wives (which they "owned") prior to 1920 because there wasn't a federal law stating they couldn't?

LOL Everything is about race with this guy. Dont waste your time. In his world if you arent a white male you arent allowed to own a property or a business. In the real world this is unequivocally not true. There has never been a better time to be a non white male in America...

Even from a historical point of view what he said is blatantly wrong.

Right because women could vote in 1850 when the US had laws restricting voting to property owners.

In America women weren't allowed to have a mortgage or Credit Card till 1974 unless it was cosigned by her father or husband.

I'm not saying it didn't exist that way. But you blatantly ignore why some of these things did exist. Also Universal White Male Suffrage didn't exists in the US until 1856. So there was also plenty of "Evil White Males" who couldn't vote as well. It didn't exist in the UK until 1918 (just 10 years before women's suffrage in 1928). It's also easy to examine these things from todays perspective looking back. But you need to look at them through the historical context and cultural lens of the time.

Fact is Women could and did own property for most of history. They also have rights throughout most of history contrary to what most think. An examination of Common Law will show you this.

https://www.thoughtco.com/property-rights-of-women-3529578

Beard, Mary. (1946). Woman as a Force in History. Macmillan, New York.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1855/f217b082603d0ab37ea80c4741fceb8a4a23.pdf

Van Creveld, M. (2013). The privileged sex. DLVC Enterprises.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Privileged_Sex.html?id=4szznAEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description

Rogers, S. C. (1975). female forms of power and the myth of male dominance: a model of female/male interaction in peasant society. American Ethnologist, 2(4), 727-756.

https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1525/ae.1975.2.4.02a00090

Bailey, J. (2002). Favoured or oppressed? Married women, property and ‘coverture’ in England, 1660–1800. Continuity and Change, 17(3), 351-372.

https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:2e88e3f6-b270-4228-b930-9237c00e739f/download_file?file_format=application/pdf&safe_filename=Item.pdf&type_of_work=Journal%20article

Griffiths, F. J. (2013). women and reform in the central middle ages. In The Oxford Handbook of Women and Gender in Medieval Europe (p. 447). Oxford University Press.

https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199582174.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780199582174-e-036

Bax, E. B. (1896). The Legal Subjection of Men. Twentieth Century Press.

Second edition: https://archive.org/details/legalsubjection00baxgoog/

George, M. J. (2007). The "Great Taboo" and the Role of Patriarchy in Husband and Wife Abuse. International Journal of Men's Health, 6(1).

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1855/f217b082603d0ab37ea80c4741fceb8a4a23.pdf

"“Only the Instrument of the Law”: Baltimore’s Whipping Post"

https://www.mdhs.org/underbelly/2013/10/03/only-the-instrument-of-the-law-baltimores-whipping-post/

ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OPPOSED TO THE EXTENSION OF SUFFRAGE TO WOMEN: WOMAN’S PROTEST AGAINST WOMAN SUFFRAGE TO MEMBERS OF THE ILLINOIS LEGISLATURE, 1909.

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/pds/gilded/power/text12/antisuffrageassoc.pdf

Abbott, Lyman. (1903). "Why Women Do Not Wish the Suffrage". The Atlantic

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/306616/

Story, J. (1877). Commentaries on equity Jurisprudence: As administered in England and America (Vol. 2). Little, Brown.

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=AfFBAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Spence, G. (1850). The Equitable Jurisdiction of the Court of Chancery: Comprising Its Rise, Progress and Final Establishment; to which is Prefixed, with a View to the Elucidation of the Main Subject, a Concise Account of the Leading Doctrines of the Common Law in Regard to Civil Rights; with an Attempt to Trace Them to Their Sources; and in which the Various Alterations Made by the Legislature Down to the Present Day are Noticed (Vol. 2). Lea and Blanchard.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=31RDAAAAcAAJ&lpg=PA515&dq=separate%20estate%20chancery&pg=PA515#v=onepage&q&f=false

Tait, A. A. (2014). The Beginning of the End of Coverture: A Reappraisal of the Married Woman's Separate Estate. Yale JL & Feminism, 26, 165.

https://scholarship.richmond.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2133&context=law-faculty-publications

Burnette, J. (2008). Gender, work and wages in industrial revolution Britain. Cambridge University Press.

https://books.google.com/books?id=gJEWvlqlEoIC&lpg=PA16&ots=eEpV4025qc&dq=info%3AVIfWu5LLPikJ%3Ascholar.google.com%2F&lr&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false

So you believe democracy is doomed to failure? Not saying you are necessarily wrong.

Yes. A move towards Democracy is great when you have monarchy, dictator, slavery, oppression and the widespread poverty that comes with all of that, but if you already live in a civilized, free and wealthy society, Democracy is a great way to kill it.

Yes. A move towards Democracy is great when you have monarchy, dictator, slavery, oppression and the widespread poverty that comes with all of that, but if you already live in a civilized, free and wealthy society, Democracy is a great way to kill it.

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

The anarcho-libertarian philosophy in a nutshell: "We want what we don't have"

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

The liberal philosophy in a nutshell: “We want what you have and will take it by force.”

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

The liberal philosophy in a nutshell: “We want what you have and will take it by force.”

Notice how I actually use a self professed libertarian's argument to come to a conclusion, whereas you create a strawman. 

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

Notice how I actually use a self professed libertarian's argument to come to a conclusion, whereas you create a strawman.

LOL yeah LC it’s a strawman. That’s why the most popular Congresswomen are selling sweatshirts that say “Tax the Rich!”.

“Tax the Rich”

“Pay for my Rent”

“Pay for my student loans”

“Expand Welfare”

“Lower the Social Security collection age”

“Big Public Unions strike until we get more money from taxpayers”

“Nobody should own ______”

“Pay for my healthcare”

How many do I need to list before it’s no longer a straw man to you? Give me a break....

The older I get the more respect I lose for teachers. When you're younger they're seen as examples and role models. As you age, you start to notice all the bitching about being underpaid. As you phase out of the education system you start seeing what types of your peers end up going the "education" route....namely party girls, special ed people, and those that lack ambition...you also start realizing as you join the workforce that, hey, wait a minute, I dont get those benefits and only working 8-3 and having summers plus holidays off is pretty damn sweet. Then you see the union bs, the continued whining, the corner cutting, making demands every single damn opportunity they get, etc...and its like, fuck them...

The older I get the more respect I lose for teachers. When you're younger they're seen as examples and role models. As you age, you start to notice all the bitching about being underpaid. As you phase out of the education system you start seeing what types of your peers end up going the "education" route....namely party girls, special ed people, and those that lack ambition...you also start realizing as you join the workforce that, hey, wait a minute, I dont get those benefits and only working 8-3 and having summers plus holidays off is pretty damn sweet. Then you see the union bs, the continued whining, the corner cutting, making demands every single damn opportunity they get, etc...and its like, fuck them...

I've thought about going into teaching after I "retire", but I've noticed every teacher I talk to constantly bitches about stuff.  I'm thinking, you people get 3 months off a year in a row, plus spring break, plus winter break.  Seems like a vacation compared to what I used to do.

I’ve had great experience from lifelong teachers and part time professionals teaching a class or two.

I would think if you have a desire to share your knowledge and teach the younger generation, to pursue it. Didn’t Buffett teach a night class at his community college?

I’ve had great experience from lifelong teachers and part time professionals teaching a class or two.

I would think if you have a desire to share your knowledge and teach the younger generation, to pursue it. Didn’t Buffett teach a night class at his community college?

That's what I am gravitating towards.  I have some contacts at a local community college, and even spoke with them about teaching part time.  For now it won't work out with my primary job.  I think it would be easier, but for some reason I want the "challenge" of teaching high school computer programming, statistics, math, or finance.

Well aside from painting liberals with the broadest of brushstrokes, there is a second part to your sentence.

How are they taking anything by force?

Tangentially, it’s funny to see you use union strikes as an example.

When you vote to take wealth from others through taxation it is still theft. Only you are using the government to hold a gun to individuals head instead of your own hand.

And as far as unions go I’m only talking about public sector unions. For private companies I couldn’t care less. But the public unions have destroyed countless towns and cities across this country. They have bankrupted practically every state with their pensions.

If I’m painting liberals with a broad brush then please tell me your stances on the things I listed.

"When you vote to take wealth from others through taxation it is still theft. Only you are using the government to hold a gun to individuals head instead of your own hand. "

Are you for the "defund the police" movement. If you are against taxes, where is the money for policing, roads, military, etc etc etc supposed to come from?

There's always exceptions. I know some real good folks who happen to be teachers. What you described above usually turns into a part time university gig, pretty much exactly like Buffett did and its rarely for the money. I'm more so talking about the K-12 crowd. Entitled, whiny, sneaky, big men/women dictating over captive audiences demanding respect they dont deserve.... I mean look at what the unions are pulling with covid. I guarantee the next step is lobbying for full time hybrid classes, especially during flu season. Give an inch, they take a mile. None of them ever tell you what they really make when you put a $ figure on their pension, tenure, benefits packages, and prorate their salaries......

"When you vote to take wealth from others through taxation it is still theft. Only you are using the government to hold a gun to individuals head instead of your own hand. "

Are you for the "defund the police" movement. If you are against taxes, where is the money for policing, roads, military, etc etc etc supposed to come from?

I believe in small government....not no government.

Well, all you got is small hands in the White House...  just sayin'

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a23301515/stormy-daniels-donald-trump-penis-mushroom/

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

Sorry if you can't understand how something can be an improvement in a horrible situation but not fit fir every situation.  If you are homeless then a tent is great, but if you have a house with all the modern conveniences then you probably don't want to live in a tent. If you have no light source candles are great, but if you have electricity then candles are more dangerous than electric lights.  I'm sorry that you want to live in a simple world with simple solutions that always work, I just don't think that world exists.

Do you "believe" in small tumors, and think that it would be extreme to get rid of them completely?

Everyone's definition of small is going to be different and there will always be just one more thing that someone will think the government should do.  Once a government exists it grows and never stops until it kills its host, or it is forced to stop.

BTW I cringe when ever I see or hear "I believe...", being an atheist I don't like talking religion.

If you lack X, X=good

If you have X, X=bad

Sorry if you can't understand how something can be an improvement in a horrible situation but not fit fir every situation.  If you are homeless then a tent is great, but if you have a house with all the modern conveniences then you probably don't want to live in a tent. If you have no light source candles are great, but if you have electricity then candles are more dangerous than electric lights.  I'm sorry that you want to live in a simple world with simple solutions that always work, I just don't think that world exists.

Well it’s an apt analogy because countries with the characteristics you idealize are closer to the homeless side of the spectrum. If you desire electric lights and homes with modern conveniences, your best option is in a democratic country, not the anarchist libertarian communes in Barcelona, nor the truly lawless third world countries ruled by a rotating cast of warlord leaders.

You tell me, where is the glorious modern libertarian country which has thrown off the shackles of government and surpassed these inferior democratic/republic countries? Meanwhile the leading countries by rank of economic and personal freedoms are all governed by forms of representative democracies and republics.

Do you "believe" in small tumors, and think that it would be extreme to get rid of them completely?

Everyone's definition of small is going to be different and there will always be just one more thing that someone will think the government should do.  Once a government exists it grows and never stops until it kills its host, or it is forced to stop.

BTW I cringe when ever I see or hear "I believe...", being an atheist I don't like talking religion.

Fair enough, I shouldn't say believe because I agree that every government eventually becomes a monstrous heap of steaming dog shit. Let me correct myself.

I prefer limited government...not no government.  ;D

I do think government is a necessity. Primarily to protect the borders, provide some legal framework and court systems, protect human rights which exist regardless of government etc. Taxes should be very limited. I think government should stay out of education, healthcare (with exception), retirement savings, and business (with exception). I think welfare should be limited and should be way more strict. I'm definitely nowhere near anarchist. I think that path ends poorly as well.

"The one thing I do respect about certain board members is their sense of dignity and grace regardless of whether they 'win or lose' or are 'right or wrong'. The pursuit of knowledge and truth is ultimately more important than the individual scorecard."

LOL!

It was so dignifying and gracious of yours to suggest that some should pack up and try some other place if they didn't like the way it was heading here because you are on the wrong side of argument and proven wrong throughout history.

Cardboard