What do you expect from the President of the US?

simplefocus

I find it really hard to talk about Presidents policies in general because each side has its likes and dislikes.  But I believe both sides can come to a common ground on what they expect from the President of the US. 

For me, the President needs

1. To defend our democracy and constitution

2. To be ethical

3. To be moral and honest

4. To have leadership ability

5. To be competence

What do you expect from our President?

I made a post a few years ago at the start of Trump's term to ask, "What metrics would you use to determine whether Trump's (or any) presidency is successful?"

Good metrics follow similar guidelines: they are clear and distinct; they are measurable; they are achievable; and so on.

So while I commend goals like "defend our democracy" - it is (1) open to (mis-)interpretation and (2) in my opinion encompasses the other 4 items you listed as well.

Some items I have thought to consider:

-Policies which reduce median healthcare costs

-Policies which shrink the income/wealth inequality gap

-Reducing median college costs; improving median K-12 salaries

-Increasing police incident data reporting, both in terms of geographies and depth of data gathered.

-Increased partnership with allied nations to provide (inter)national security.

There are more (of course) but these are what come to mind first and foremost.

I made a post a few years ago at the start of Trump's term to ask, "What metrics would you use to determine whether Trump's (or any) presidency is successful?"

Good metrics follow similar guidelines: they are clear and distinct; they are measurable; they are achievable; and so on.

So while I commend goals like "defend our democracy" - it is (1) open to (mis-)interpretation and (2) in my opinion encompasses the other 4 items you listed as well.

Some items I have thought to consider:

-Policies which reduce median healthcare costs

-Policies which shrink the income/wealth inequality gap

-Reducing median college costs; improving median K-12 salaries

-Increasing police incident data reporting, both in terms of geographies and depth of data gathered.

-Increased partnership with allied nations to provide (inter)national security.

There are more (of course) but these are what come to mind first and foremost.

How do you rate our recent past and current Presidents, such as Bush, Obama and Trump based on your metrics? 

I don’t, for a few reasons:

First, metrics should be made at the start of the period, not in retrospect. Otherwise you are just displaying  your own biases.

Second, times change. Bush term 1 vs Bush term 2, vs Obama’s terms, and now Trump...the nation has faced different challenges and so to judge each president on identical metrics is unfair.

And thirdly, well, it’s really hard to do!

One other point: consider the first terms of each President you mention: Bush has 9-11 to manage, Obama the worst recession in decades, Trump and COVID. It may be tempting to say, “forget lowering healthcare costs, we were just attacked by terrorists or managing a global pandemic!”

I would say this is a mistake. A good metric is valuable in spite of idiosyncratic events, not only in the absence of.

I don’t, for a few reasons:

First, metrics should be made at the start of the period, not in retrospect. Otherwise you are just displaying  your own biases.

Second, times change. Bush term 1 vs Bush term 2, vs Obama’s terms, and now Trump...the nation has faced different challenges and so to judge each president on identical metrics is unfair.

And thirdly, well, it’s really hard to do!

One other point: consider the first terms of each President you mention: Bush has 9-11 to manage, Obama the worst recession in decades, Trump and COVID. It may be tempting to say, “forget lowering healthcare costs, we were just attacked by terrorists or managing a global pandemic!”

I would say this is a mistake. A good metric is valuable in spite of idiosyncratic events, not only in the absence of.

Well folks, thats all we need to know!

I find it really hard to talk about Presidents policies in general because each side has its likes and dislikes.  But I believe both sides can come to a common ground on what they expect from the President of the US. 

2. To be ethical

5. To be competence

6. To respect the election and democratic process.  This piece of shit won't agree to a peaceful transfer of power.  Whether it's a ruse or the truth, just throwing the idea out there, should be a charge of treason when he leaves office. 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trump-refuses-to-commit-to-peaceful-transfer-of-power-if-he-loses-225832368.html

2. To be ethical

5. To be competence

6. To respect the election and democratic process.  This piece of shit won't agree to a peaceful transfer of power.  Whether it's a ruse or the truth, just throwing the idea out there, should be a charge of treason when he leaves office. 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trump-refuses-to-commit-to-peaceful-transfer-of-power-if-he-loses-225832368.html

Yes,  I couldn’t agree more.  The President needs to respect the election and democratic process.  I have voted for Republican and Democratic Presidents in the past and I haven’t seen anything like this before.  I’m worried about our democracy.  I’m worried that we will have a civil war if we continue going down this dangerous path.

I expect a President to get the fuck out of the way and let people fulfill their dreams.

That is what Trump did by cutting a lot of red tape.

i vividly recall Parsad whining about Trump not doing anything early on.

Well that is exactly what a President should do. Tell people to go out there and do their thing, keep moral up and stick with the vision which is the Constitution.

It started to derail when he got involved in these endless tarrifs and was there retaliation? We will never know but, how convenient.

Cardboard

2. To be ethical

5. To be competence

This is all a wonderful list and good start.

I'd certainly make number 2 & 3;

2) Protect and Defend the country's citizens

3) Uphold Law and Order

Your other items are quite nice, but in this highly partisan/ugly political environment, some of the those are falling by the wayside.

With a "free and honest press" - which is largely dead because of the MSM - it's up to the average citizen, unfortunately, to make their OWN judgement

on ethics, morals, and honesty of partisan politicians. "leadership" is then in the eye of the beholder.

If nothing else, our current President is a fighter to KEEP the past system from being obliterated. Good enough for me.

2. To be ethical

5. To be competence

This is all a wonderful list and good start.

I'd certainly make number 2 & 3;

2) Protect and Defend the country's citizens

3) Uphold Law and Order

Your other items are quite nice, but in this highly partisan/ugly political environment, some of the those are falling by the wayside.

With a "free and honest press" - which is largely dead because of the MSM - it's up to the average citizen, unfortunately, to make their OWN judgement

on ethics, morals, and honesty of partisan politicians. "leadership" is then in the eye of the beholder.

If nothing else, our current President is a fighter to KEEP the past system from being obliterated. Good enough for me.

Thanks for your contribution.  I do like your #2 & #3 and will add them to the list. 

Lets say if these are what we can all expect from our President

1. Defend our democracy and constitution

2. Protect and defend our country’s citizens

3. Uphold law and order

4. Respect our election and democratic process

based on what I have seen from our current President, he has crossed the line many times trying to lie and cheat his through.  This should not be acceptable as the President of our great country. 

• 3 weeks later...

Expect or want?

What do I expect?  Nothing good.  They are all horrible people with over inflated egos and bad intentions. And mostly controlled by people with worse intentions.

What do I want?  Someone to bring all our troops home, close all foreign military bases, cut spending 98-99.99%, eliminate the income tax, end the war on drugs and pardon all past drug convictions, repeal all federal gun laws, pardon all past gun law convictions, and abolish the ATF.  That should be good for week 1.

Here you go...  For those who hate big government, want fewer laws and regulations, less or no taxes, etc.

Short list of countries that fit your ideals, minimal government, loose tax structure, etc.

Colombia, Somalia, Brazil, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Congo, Burundi, Iraq, Venezuela, Uganda,  Bolivia.

Please contact their embassies (if they have any) for immigration information.

1) Free money when I'm poor, zero taxes when I'm rich

2) Zero regulations when I drill/frack for oil/mining, strong EPA when there is pollution in the place I live

3) ACA/Free healthcare/Medic aid when I'm sick and poor, no Govt subsidy to anyone when I'm healthy

What do you want and what do you expect are two totally different things. What I want from the President...lower taxes, less regulation, etc is pretty standardly consistent with party lines. What I expect, is that the person in office will push/promote the policies of the base that voted them in.

We live in a hunter & gatherer society. The hunters want to do their thing, and then just eat what they kill, and the gatherers want to contribute a defined amount, and reap the benefits of everyone else, aka I did my minimum now give me meat!. Government, give me healthcare. Employer, give me paycheck. IRS, give me tax refund. Skool, give me education. I consider this similar to the guy in prison who needs to give head in order to get by. Not really a desirable cup of tea but simply the hand many are dealt. Eventually, the more you disincentivize people going out and providing for themselves, the more there becomes potential for destabilization and reliance on outside hands. Especially when, metaphorically, the gatherers are in many instances, being given tainted meat that keeps them addicted to the current system.

What do you want and what do you expect are two totally different things. What I want from the President...lower taxes, less regulation, etc is pretty standardly consistent with party lines. What I expect, is that the person in office will push/promote the policies of the base that voted them in.

We live in a hunter & gatherer society. The hunters want to do their thing, and then just eat what they kill, and the gatherers want to contribute a defined amount, and reap the benefits of everyone else, aka I did my minimum now give me meat!. Government, give me healthcare. Employer, give me paycheck. IRS, give me tax refund. Skool, give me education. I consider this similar to the guy in prison who needs to give head in order to get by. Not really a desirable cup of tea but simply the hand many are dealt. Eventually, the more you disincentivize people going out and providing for themselves, the more there becomes potential for destabilization and reliance on outside hands. Especially when, metaphorically, the gatherers are in many instances, being given tainted meat that keeps them addicted to the current system.

It was actually the opposite in hunter gatherer societies. The men who were usually the hunters would come back empty handed most days having failed at hunting and would end up eating what the women who were the gatherers had collected. 

It was actually the opposite in hunter gatherer societies. The men who were usually the hunters would come back empty handed most days having failed at hunting and would end up eating what the women who were the gatherers had collected.

;D ;D ;D

I consider this similar to the guy in prison who needs to give head in order to get by.

Have some experience with this, do ya Greg? Just kidding ;D ;D

LC! Some humor!

Things are tough when some are ambitious and take risk to better their situation, while others sit around in their safety nets, doing little more than the minimum asked of them.

The teachers who do their 8-3 and then complain about pay. The worker who punches in at 9 and leaves promptly at 5. The liberal arts major who complains about student debt....

Of course they all contribute their berries, but lets not confuse them with folks who take risks and dare to make themselves uncomfortable in search of improving their situations...

Just trying to break the pre-election tension!

The question you are asking is "where to draw the line". I don't think anyone argues a teacher should earn the same as a successful entrepreneur. The question is how much more can we support? How much inequality is the "right" amount?

In some countries, a guy like Jeff Bezos would support more of the underlying infrastructure than here in the US. The rationale is that he gets exponentially more use out of that infrastructure.

The other difficulty is the US is becoming more oligarchical - this contributes to inequality. I argue that the volatile state of the nation is a symptom of this inequality. At some point this will need to be addressed. Just telling people to "suck it up" will end poorly for everyone.