Polar bear population exploding

Cardboard

LOL and then the lefties go ahead and ask why ALL THE RESEARCH says there's global warming occurring....when you remove people(North Korea style) who disagree or present information contrary to what you are trying to push... well its not hard to present the illusion of "overwhelming" amounts of research. It also quickly gets the message across to others...like your job? Passionate about research? tell us what we want or your funding disappears...such a shame and a sham.

Totally atrocious when academic institutions betray their main goal of the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

That doesn't mean all science is wrong. Greg's post is the definition of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"

https://www.cfact.org/2019/10/18/polar-bear-expert-purged/

And that is what academia does to those who dare to bring up facts and science.

Cardboard

Being a contrarian doesn't make you right.  It seems some pretty qualified experts take issue with Crockford's writing because they feel she is disseminating bad "facts and science".

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/financial-post-publishes-misleading-opinion-misrepresents-science-polar-bears-peril-susan-crockford/

Maybe Crockford's adjunct appointment wasn't renewed because she lost her faculty sponsor, or because she hasn't published in peer-reviewed journals, or wasn't supervising students, etc.  Adjunct appointments are unpaid affiliations .  Here are the particulars for the UVic biology department.

https://www.uvic.ca/science/biology/assets/docs/other/Adjunct%20Policy%202013.pdf

This may be quixotic but they say to follow the facts, follow the money and follow the credentials.

I'm pretty agnostic versus the polar bear population but the underlying issue may be what's happening to the underlying arctic sea ice.

In this domain, like more and more it seems, there tend to be two sides with very little will to bridge the gap. The 'deniers' group, to which Dr. Susan Crockford adheres to, suggests that either the arctic sea ice conditions are improving or the decline is not significant, unclear and noisy. The earth scientists 'this is for real' group suggests that the arctic sea conditions are deteriorating to a significant degree, with a 'trend' not seen since a very long time.

Following the data and facts may lead you to accept the second hypothesis. The NASA (not perfect but high level evidence nonetheless, no?) has been conducting constructive investigations and analyses and have showed concern about how data could be manipulated. So, they tend to focus on fundamentals. Dr. Susan Crockford alleged that what she experienced when her conclusions were questioned was akin to academic rape and it seems her response is disproportionate as a scientist should ideally welcome scrutiny and meet it with objective analysis and rational responses.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019-arctic-sea-ice-extent-fourth-lowest-on-record

But this often comes down to ideology and I wonder if you're likely to be a denier if you don't believe that they put a man on the moon.

Yup, another academician afraid to lose his job. Too bad that it didn't help Fortress Global.

Fortunately there hasn't been any major controversy in my area since the 1700s so I think I'm safe for now.    But you make a great point, as usual. 

"Greg's post is the definition of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater""

Nope! It is simply the proof that it exists unlike that claim from Cameronfen. Who in reality is more afraid to lose his job than advancing science.

Oh man so now I get thrown under the bus on a thread I wasn't even reading until now... (jkjk).  I never said that the scientific community is not biased against people that advocate less global warming... However, my point was even if there is some bias, if the truth is the truth, it will come out because that is how science is constructed, especially hard science where it is much more difficult to argue something that has no basis in reality, is the truth.  Basically if someone could prove that global warming is a hoax, or if there is significantly less reason to worry, then they would get a lot of attention and I proved it with an article that was saying global warming is not as costly as experts believed which got 1800 citations--go look at that other thread. 

Also as far as sources go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_for_a_Constructive_Tomorrow

Funded by the Koch Brothers (Donor's Trust), Peabody Energy.  Not like these people have an ulterior motive for denying climate change do they?   

Another one who made a lot of money in O&G.

There has been a tight (statistical) correlation between the declining amount of ice in the Arctic and the S&P/TSX Equal Weight Oil & Gas index (GSPTXOE) over the last few years but I think it may be a spurious correlation.

If volatility wins over fundamentals to a sufficient degree to meet internal guidelines, more money will flow in that direction and the number and living conditions of polar bears have nothing to do with that.

Another one who made a lot of money in O&G.

There has been a tight (statistical) correlation between the declining amount of ice in the Arctic and the S&P/TSX Equal Weight Oil & Gas index (GSPTXOE) over the last few years but I think it may be a spurious correlation.

If volatility wins over fundamentals to a sufficient degree to meet internal guidelines, more money will flow in that direction and the number and living conditions of polar bears have nothing to do with that.

The post was way over my head.  What are you getting at? 

Whether or not global warming is real, it is a religion who's adherents are hunting "deniers".  Science and politics should never be mixed.

I don't know if you see the irony in that statement, but it's just as possible that your anti-global warming politics is running head on against what scientists say and that maybe politics is clouding your decision when you hyperbole "hunting 'deniers'". 

Whether or not global warming is real, it is a religion who's adherents are hunting "deniers".  Science and politics should never be mixed.

I don't know if you see the irony in that statement, but it's just as possible that your anti-global warming politics is running head on against what scientists say and that maybe politics is clouding your decision when you hyperbole "hunting 'deniers'". 

The irony is that I think global warming probably is real and it is you who can't see past your politics to the obvious truth of my above statement. Nothing about the politicalization of this topic is how science is supposed to work.

https://www.cfact.org/2019/10/18/polar-bear-expert-purged/

And that is what academia does to those who dare to bring up facts and science.

Cardboard

I'm glad you aren't a scientist Cardboard.  Tobacco companies should have hired you to defend them, because there are still plenty of people walking around who smoke two packs a day and haven't developed cancer yet from cigarettes. 

The nerve of scientists and climatologists!  And that kid...Greta whatsherface...brain-washed to do the bidding of these false priests of science.  With that cute, confused, autistic face of hers...how dare she sir, how dare she stand up for this god-damned environment that is in perfect, I say perfect, working order. 

Can't the environment speak up for itself if it's distressed? Or is it some planet...exploited...pressured to wear a hijab and keep quiet about its abuse?!

And if there is any infections as such...as Gregmal likes to say...Mother Earth is a slut anyway!  And she's part of the Squad!  Cheers!     

Greta whomeverburg is really just another unfortunate soul who's been brainwashed into a constant state of panic and never ceasing nervous breakdowns by all the liberal propaganda. If only she knew the Earth would still be around in 10 years... I think she'd be OK!

Greta whomeverburg is really just another unfortunate soul who's been brainwashed into a constant state of panic and never ceasing nervous breakdowns by all the liberal propaganda. If only she knew the Earth would still be around in 10 years... I think she'd be OK!

I think that's the disconnect between climate advocates and deniers...the advocates aren't worried about the Earth being around in 10 years, but whether it will be habitable for mankind in 50-100 years.  The deniers are fine consuming today, and not giving a rat's ass for tomorrow. 

And yes, of course the advocates are usually worrying too early, but if it wasn't for them, alot of the stuff we were predicting in the 70's that would have happened by 2010...well they've been put off  for many more decades because of those crazy liberals pushing their agenda.  Cheers!

Anyone who doesn’t acknowledge that we are experiencing climate change has their head stuck in the sand.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of climate deniers live in large cities and don’t get out much.

Never mind politics, never mind science.  Ask an older farmer or fisherman and see how few deniers you will find among real people who deal with the elements every day.

I have been around for quite a while myself and I can tell you that the climate has changed significantly in my area, in my lifetime. In general the weather here is more extreme. Higher wind speeds and higher humidity in particular.

Now the CAUSE on the other hand, is probably open to debate

It may be part of a natural cycle or it may be man made - likely portions of both - but to deny the fact that our climate is changing is living in a bubble.

If there is reason to believe that the cause is man made, or even partially man made, than only a fool would be against taking steps to reduce our contribution to the problem.

In the words of George Carlin "The earth will do fine, the people are f**cked"

The politics of climate change is very real. And it is tilting left. I see my kids & others taking it very seriously. The longer it stays in the news & in the collective consciousness, it'll prove to be very damaging to the R party. This is only the beginning. Imagine when this generation grows up and takes levers of power.

In the words of George Carlin "The earth will do fine, the people are f**cked"

The politics of climate change is very real. And it is tilting left. I see my kids & others taking it very seriously. The longer it stays in the news & in the collective consciousness, it'll prove to be very damaging to the R party. This is only the beginning. Imagine when this generation grows up and takes levers of power.

Until the kids grow up....and realize the world didn't end. Just like trying to catch a glimpse of Santa Clause on Christmas Eve, its a phrase, eventually they mature and grow out of it...unless they seek to become politicians or something and need a "cause"...

I think that's the disconnect between climate advocates and deniers...the advocates aren't worried about the Earth being around in 10 years, but whether it will be habitable for mankind in 50-100 years.  The deniers are fine consuming today, and not giving a rat's ass for tomorrow. 

And yes, of course the advocates are usually worrying too early, but if it wasn't for them, alot of the stuff we were predicting in the 70's that would have happened by 2010...well they've been put off  for many more decades because of those crazy liberals pushing their agenda.  Cheers!

Standing up for the environment is a definite good that all should support however I think the current incarnation is a somewhat different beast with the powers that be behind it more interested in the money, political power and other motives. CO2 is a lessor evil than habitat loss, destruction of ocean species and the awful pollution that is growing in 3rd world countries with the expansion of coal fired plants & vehicles with poor emission controls.

Why do they fight LNG pipes or Alberta oil while completely ignoring the largest coal terminal in BC that feeds the China toxicity. Or the importation of Saudi (can you say unethical oil) or Nigerian (seen what they have done to the delta??) oil into Canada without carbon taxes all the while penalizing and trying to shut down western Cdn oil which is among the most ethical in the world??

The current climate emergency crowd reminds of... https://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-Madness-Crowds/dp/051788433X in history. Meanwhile the modern day messiahs whether they be Greta, AOC, Gore or whoever are taking pages from the "Fire & Brimstone" preachers of yore. Repent or you will go to hell! Pay your carbon tax or you will die in 12 years!  Science, math & physics unfortunately are ignored when rabid religious eco themed zealots get control.

Imagine when this generation grows up and takes levers of power.

Hopefully they aren't like the Baby Boomers...they all became capitalists, and very good capitalists.  They still listen to John Lennon, but not when they are fighting climate change, only when they are counting all of their Benjamins and sucking down their Venti, triple, soy milk lattes!

"They say you want a revolution..." 

Poor Lennon would be still in his Love-In Bed crying on Yoko's shoulders about what assholes and hypocrites his colleagues and fans became!  Can you imagine (no pun intended)...after fighting with Andy Capp 40 years ago, Lennon would still be fighting the same asshole in Trump!  Cheers!