Re: Democrats vote against paying furloughed federal employess

Guest MarkS

You would think that after continually expressing concern for unpaid federal workers democrats would vote for legislation to pay them.  I guess they like the talking points better than actually doing something about the problem.  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/01/24/fun-fact-house-democrats-defeated-a-bipartisan-bill-to-pay-federal-workers-during-the-shutdown-n2539969

“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it.” -- Donald Trump, 12/11/18

Wow!!!!  What a responsive comment - exactly on point.  Did it take you a long time to come up with it?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426922-gop-senator-reportedly-slams-mcconnell-over-shutdown-this-is-your-fault

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) tore into Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Thursday, saying the record-long government shutdown was McConnell’s “fault,” according to The Washington Post.

McConnell has blocked all previous measures to reopen the government amid the longest shutdown in U.S. history, previously citing the need for President Trump’s approval.

What MarkS is talking about is roll call 48 for the actual bill HR 648. The actual bill HR 648 is "Making appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes.". This essentially will pass budget for the fiscal year, open the govt AND pay all furloughed employees. The roll call 48 (A.K.A: Motion to strike the enacting clause followed by motion to re-commit) was introduced by a republican and was defeated.

Some terminology -

“Motion to Strike the Enacting Clause” – striking the enacting clause is a form of amendment that removes the portion of the bill that says that the actual substance gets done. Kills the bill, but allows it to still be passed.

•“Motion to Re-Commit” – sends the Bill back to Committee for further mark-up, research and alteration, sometimes done genuinely to perfect the bill, sometimes done with the intention of killing the bill

So basically - roll call 48 is a legislative gimmick, one cannot just pay employees (as suggested in motion to recommit) without appropriating funds to open the govt (as suggested in motion to strike the enacting clause). I am not saying that democrats do not do gimmicky stuff with legislative tactics. But citing 48 as proof of republican's caring about federal employees and democrats opposing it is false.

Here is the day's events recorded below -

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx?day=20190123

3:08:25 P.M. H.R. 648 DEBATE - The House proceeded with 10 minutes of debate on the Granger motion to recommit with instructions. The instructions contained in the motion seek to require the bill to be reported back to the House with an amendment to strike all after the enacting clause and insert new text related to payment of employees furloughed during the lapse in appropriations beginning on December 22, 2018.

3:11:19 P.M. H.R. 648 The previous question on the motion to recommit with instructions was ordered without objection.

3:46:38 P.M. H.R. 648 On motion to recommit with instructions Failed by the Yeas and Nays: 200 - 215 (Roll no. 48).

What MarkS is talking about is roll call 48 for the actual bill HR 648. The actual bill HR 648 is "Making appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes.". This essentially will pass budget for the fiscal year, open the govt AND pay all furloughed employees. The roll call 48 (A.K.A: Motion to strike the enacting clause followed by motion to re-commit) was introduced by a republican and was defeated.

Some terminology -

“Motion to Strike the Enacting Clause” – striking the enacting clause is a form of amendment that removes the portion of the bill that says that the actual substance gets done. Kills the bill, but allows it to still be passed.

•“Motion to Re-Commit” – sends the Bill back to Committee for further mark-up, research and alteration, sometimes done genuinely to perfect the bill, sometimes done with the intention of killing the bill

So basically - roll call 48 is a legislative gimmick, one cannot just pay employees (as suggested in motion to recommit) without appropriating funds to open the govt (as suggested in motion to strike the enacting clause). I am not saying that democrats do not do gimmicky stuff with legislative tactics. But citing 48 as proof of republican's caring about federal employees and democrats opposing it is false.

Here is the day's events recorded below -

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx?day=20190123

3:08:25 P.M. H.R. 648 DEBATE - The House proceeded with 10 minutes of debate on the Granger motion to recommit with instructions. The instructions contained in the motion seek to require the bill to be reported back to the House with an amendment to strike all after the enacting clause and insert new text related to payment of employees furloughed during the lapse in appropriations beginning on December 22, 2018.

3:11:19 P.M. H.R. 648 The previous question on the motion to recommit with instructions was ordered without objection.

3:46:38 P.M. H.R. 648 On motion to recommit with instructions Failed by the Yeas and Nays: 200 - 215 (Roll no. 48).

The "terminology" section that you used looks like it was cut from a "course hero" - which appears to be "cliff notes" for college courses.  Even so, I'm not sure that you can reached your conclusion simply by citing "definitions" and drawing a conclusion. You might ultimately be right: I was just posting what was reported.  But I don't buy your reasoning.

BTW - welcome to the board!