Deliberately Fraudulent News

Gregmal

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-blasts-washington-post-writer-fake-news-tweet-012249141.html

So, look at what happened, and then read the article below as well as many others. Is the bias not self evident? Its absurd. This is a very cut and dry case of someone purposely pushing their own agenda in a deliberate and fraudulent way, and then getting a free pass. This dude apologizes and claims it was a mistake, but that's bullshit. How does one knowingly take a picture of an arena hours before an event starts, and then present it as the event itself? This is extremely deliberate dishonesty. It's like me showing up at a hockey game slated to start at 7:05, at 3:30 pm and tweeting a picture of the empty arena saying neither team showed up to play. And now the Libs want to spin this as attacking free speech and an "honest mistake"? Hilarious. Maybe this guy should be working for the FBI...

Hey all:

I get it if people don't like/want Trump.

HOWEVER, this is just reason #102,303 why the media has lost all credibility with a majority of the American populace.

For me, it started many moons ago when I was in undergrad.  I would sometimes party & associate with some people in the journalism program.  A couple of them were OK, serious people...but most were sub-par students.  Turns out, the journalism program had a reputation for attracting the lazy and/or "dim bulbs".

I would also do a LOT of reading in skool.  WSJ & New York Time were always on the list.  They were generally good papers with good reporters, good stories...the way papers should be run (for the most part).  Contrast that to the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, Toledo Blade, pretty much any "local" paper.  WTF is going there?  They are simply running AP newswire stories that are written to be read by 3rd graders.  What were the hundreds of reporters doing at those papers?  Not much of anything that I could see. 

Then compare that with the local nightly news!  Sanctimonious news readers get on TV and tell us about car crashes, robberies, fires & other "news" items.  TV newscasters are simply empty suits.

The press was supposed to be a check on government, the military, big business, fraudsters & so on.  They were supposed to raise the level of discourse in society.  They were supposed to help bring about & keep an informed citizenry.  They stopped doing that a LONG time ago.

F them....the American press is a joke and circus act.

Hey all:

I get it if people don't like/want Trump.

HOWEVER, this is just reason #102,303 why the media has lost all credibility with a majority of the American populace.

For me, it started many moons ago when I was in undergrad.  I would sometimes party & associate with some people in the journalism program.  A couple of them were OK, serious people...but most were sub-par students.  Turns out, the journalism program had a reputation for attracting the lazy and/or "dim bulbs".

I would also do a LOT of reading in skool.  WSJ & New York Time were always on the list.  They were generally good papers with good reporters, good stories...the way papers should be run (for the most part).  Contrast that to the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, Toledo Blade, pretty much any "local" paper.  WTF is going there?  They are simply running AP newswire stories that are written to be read by 3rd graders.  What were the hundreds of reporters doing at those papers?  Not much of anything that I could see. 

Then compare that with the local nightly news!  Sanctimonious news readers get on TV and tell us about car crashes, robberies, fires & other "news" items.  TV newscasters are simply empty suits.

The press was supposed to be a check on government, the military, big business, fraudsters & so on.  They were supposed to raise the level of discourse in society.  They were supposed to help bring about & keep an informed citizenry.  They stopped doing that a LONG time ago.

F them....the American press is a joke and circus act.

Right on. I do remember the "journalist/drama" club crowds from high school and college. You nailed their breakdown. I'd add that these types are somewhat creative, mainly from all the drugs they are doing, but otherwise lazy and sub-par students. Those are the types that then go on to become today's journalists/actors. No one should be surprised with what we are dealing with.

All industries have A, B and C players. It's a mistake to say that an industry is worthless because there are C players in it. A level companies will always have the best picks followed by B and then C.

Anecdotes aren't statistics. Also, who knows what the rank of your school's journalism program was. A lowly ranked program might not attract the top prospects on average.

I've met some really smart journalists. But it'd be a mistake if I went around saying all journalists are super smart.

All industries have A, B and C players. It's a mistake to say that an industry is worthless because there are C players in it. A level companies will always have the best picks followed by B and then C.

Anecdotes aren't statistics. Also, who knows what the rank of your school's journalism program was. A lowly ranked program might not attract the top prospects on average.

I've met some really smart journalists. But it'd be a mistake if I went around saying all journalists are super smart.

Obviously there is truth to what you say....Columbia in NYC has a good school of Journalism.

Directionless State University Skool of Journalism?  not so much...

WSJ & New York Times (well part of it anyway) obviously have good journalists.

The point I was trying to make is that in GENERAL, the quality of journalism & journalists has most certainly gone down over the last 5, 10, 20, 30 years.

This is not a "left" or "right" rant or idea.  I am just lamenting that the overall quality of journalism in most areas is poor.  How does it help ANYBODY of ANY political persuasion to have journalists making stuff up?  If you are a "liberal" & hate Trump, how does it advance your cause to have journalists making stuff up OR being so lazy as to simply repeat stuff?  In the long run, people will lose faith in the press!  If Trump is so bad/crazy, why bother to make stuff up?  Simply be honest & diligent in reporting and let everything else sort itself out...

There are a few shoots of hope though...there are some interesting web sites with individuals speaking up & calling things out.  The interwebs have given common folk more opportunity to be heard.

There are also some good/interesting overseas options for journalism.  For example, the English newspapers time & again "scoop" their American counterparts.  You've also got Al-Jazeera & RT.

Finally, you've got outlets like "Vice TV" and a few others.

The mainstream press is on their way out.  The sad thing is that it did not have to be this way!

There are also some good/interesting overseas options for journalism.  For example, the English newspapers time & again "scoop" their American counterparts.  You've also got Al-Jazeera & RT.

May I offer you a free one-way ticket to Putin's Paradise?

When you think that RT is an "interesting option for journalism", you are lost.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-blasts-washington-post-writer-fake-news-tweet-012249141.html

So, look at what happened, and then read the article below as well as many others. Is the bias not self evident? Its absurd. This is a very cut and dry case of someone purposely pushing their own agenda in a deliberate and fraudulent way, and then getting a free pass. This dude apologizes and claims it was a mistake, but that's bullshit. How does one knowingly take a picture of an arena hours before an event starts, and then present it as the event itself? This is extremely deliberate dishonesty. It's like me showing up at a hockey game slated to start at 7:05, at 3:30 pm and tweeting a picture of the empty arena saying neither team showed up to play. And now the Libs want to spin this as attacking free speech and an "honest mistake"? Hilarious. Maybe this guy should be working for the FBI...

The quality of journalism is partly a function of the consumers of journalism. I don't blame journalists. I blame the consumers who read garbage. This thread is a good example...why do we care about whether an arena is half empty? How is that important. Just because Trump tweets about it we are supposed to care?

The rise of the internet has resulted in the rise of clickbait and this thread is a great example of the phenomenon.

Dave Weigel, semi-obscure WaPo reporter, 398K twitter followers.

Posts misleading image of a Trump rally.

Gets called out by fellow reporters.

Promptly deletes the tweet.

Gets called out by Trump.

Issues an apology.

Fox News, cable's most watched network with millions of daily viewers.

Spends weeks covering B.S. conspiracy theory about murdered DNC staffer.

The coverage is nearly 100% innuendo not grounded in any facts.

Victim's family begs them to stop... Fox News ignores their pleadings and keeps going.

Fox gets sued by their own contributor. Rod Wheeler alleges that Fox News and a wealthy Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from Mueller's investigation. Wheeler's suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to Wheeler to propel her story.

Fox never issues any retractions or corrections.

President Trump, a world-wide audience of billions.

Posts fake anti-muslim videos staged by a neo-fascist group in the UK.

Doesn't delete the videos.

Doesn't apologize.

His press-secretary claims that it doesn't matter that the videos are fake.... it's the "security message" that counts.

Trump's supporters are up in arms about one of these cases. Guess which one?

It's called selective outrage.

May I offer you a free one-way ticket to Putin's Paradise?

When you think that RT is an "interesting option for journalism", you are lost.

Hahahaha, I'm not lost...but a lot of American journalists sure are!

So, during the days of Nixon as President, am sure you would have said the Washington Post reporters were "lost" too or as Gregmal says "sub-par". Just like Trump who cannot stand any form of criticism or correction of misleading statements, says it's "fake news".

You are not fooling the American general public who are starting to catch on to your nonsense.

So, during the days of Nixon as President, am sure you would have said the Washington Post reporters were "lost" too or as Gregmal says "sub-par". Just like Trump who cannot stand any form of criticism or correction of misleading statements, says it's "fake news".

You are not fooling the American general public who are starting to catch on to your nonsense.

The press back in the early 70's had a LOT more experience, integrity, work ethic and intelligence than it does now.  It was a serious business back then.  Now, not so much.

Perfect example...back in the 70's and early 80's, 60 Minutes was a heavy hitting news program....now?  it is a shadow of it's former self.

As I have stated before...this is really only tangentially a "right vs. left" thing. 

When the press is lazy, stupid and making stuff up, who does is it help?  Certainly not the Democrats or the left...certainly not the right wing either...It weakens the citizen's check on the government/authority and undermines society.

The press in America (generally speaking) has been getting lazy for 25+ years? 

As for getting more stupider, that goes hand in hand with laziness and the decline in academic institutions.

As for just reporting blatantly false/misleading stuff, that is a relatively recent event.

Of course, there are some beacons of hope.  The WSJ has consistently been pretty good...but how many people actively read that in America?  1 or 2 percent of society? 

The crazy thing is that the news in America did themselves in.  It did not have to be this way!