Absolutely love this guy!

Cardboard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this belongs in the politics section.

This article pretty much represents my thoughts on this. It isn’t the kneeling players who have brought politics into football where it doesn’t belong.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-real-problem-the-militarization-of-the-nfl/

I know I've said this a hundred times, but it's worth repeating.  Politics poisons everything.

I didn't put it into Politics because it is universally accepted: honouring your flag, be proud of your country.

Patriotism is as moronic as it is popular in the states.

It is not universally accepted, in fact most educated people find it rather stupid.

As a belgian I'll root for our football team and brag about our beer, chocolate and fries. That's it, nothing more to be proud of and I certainly don't give a fuck about the flag.

Guest MikeTheCannon

I didn't put it into Politics because it is universally accepted: honouring your flag, be proud of your country.

Should not be any debate about it. The only exception I guess would be a state that decides to form its own country.

Cardboard

Are you not allowed to critique the country? Can you not say "We've got a pretty good thing going on here, but I think there's room for improvement"?

Should not be any debate about it. The only exception I guess would be a state that decides to form its own country.

Cardboard

Putting it into Politics is a courtesy for those of us who have muted the Politics board. Some of us come to these boards to read only about investing. General Discussion is usually at least partly investment related. In fact, every other thread on the first page of GD is at least partly investment-related.

Since I've muted Politics, I naturally assumed from your subject line that this was some world-class investor or CEO.

Cardboard

Plenty to be proud of about the U.S.

Plenty to be repulsed by.

Not pretending everything is perfect isn't unpatriotic - it pushes the country to improve which is more patriotic than being complacent. In a country whose monicker is freedom, it's a bit odd that you would prefer forced/false patriotism to freedom of speech.

You are confusing how you would like the universe to be with how it actually is.

Universally accepted means accepted 100% by everyone.  I do not accept it, so your statement is demonstrably false.

Cardboard

Plenty to be proud of about the U.S.

Plenty to be repulsed by.

Not pretending everything is perfect isn't unpatriotic - it pushes the country to improve which is more patriotic than being complacent. In a country whose monicker is freedom, it's a bit odd that you would prefer forced/false patriotism to freedom of speech.

What I really love about the guy is that right before he starts burning shit he says that the "flag stands for the freedoms that we have". Freedoms which include not standing for the flag. Ahhhh sweet irony!

Really, is this more important than Trump:

- Helping Puerto Rico

- Fixing Obamacare

- Making education more efficient

- Reducing the tax rate for companies to repatriate offshore cash

- Reducing the Federal debt

- Engaging allies, China and Russia to control nuclear proliferation

- His own teams conduct...from HHS secretary's use of private jets to his team's use of private email addresses

- Wasting his f**king time playing golf every weekend or travelling to Mar-a-lago and New York

- Or a thousand other things he needs to do as President

Dealing with race relations and reducing divisiveness is not a priority for this a-hole...I get that...but there are far more important things for him to be doing, as well as the millions of people worrying about who is standing, kneeling or sitting for the anthem.  This is one really, really stupid thing to be pissed off about!  You guys know it was a Green Beret friend who told Kapernick to kneel in the first place?  He said it was more reverential than sitting out the anthem.  Not that either one worries me one iota.

These people are simply protesting that their country, that they love, is not listening to the needs of some of its citizens.  That's it!  They aren't saying they don't want to live there, or they hate their country.  They are exercising their First Amendment rights as citizens of the U.S.!  The Founding Fathers would be sickened to see how people are reacting to all of this.

Cheers!

Maybe Sanjeev that you still salute the Indian flag and I would respect that. I still salute the Irish flag while I have tears coming down my eyes whenever Canadians win anything.

The American disrespect is unreal imo. It has got nothing to do with Trump as Kaapernick started this under Obama and this would have likely continued under Clinton.

Effectively it is disrespectful to the country that allows you free speech. America is a great nation and if you want to make positive changes it only takes will to do it. To piss on the flag and anthem is not how you make positive change. Maybe it is to brain dead Kaapernick but, it wasn't to Martin Luther King.

Cheers

Cardboard

Maybe Sanjeev that you still salute the Indian flag and I would respect that. I still salute the Irish flag while I have tears coming down my eyes whenever Canadians win anything.

The American disrespect is unreal imo. It has got nothing to do with Trump as Kaapernick started this under Obama and this would have likely continued under Clinton.

Effectively it is disrespectful to the country that allows you free speech. America is a great nation and if you want to make positive changes it only takes will to do it. To piss on the flag and anthem is not how you make positive change. Maybe it is to brain dead Kaapernick but, it wasn't to Martin Luther King.

Cheers

Cardboard

Not to put too fine a point on it but the fact that you and the youtube people are so fired up about this just means that the kneeling thing is working. That's the way that peaceful protest is supposed to go. And yes, Kaaoernick is no Dr. King but then Dr. King was one in a billion. Just like not every investor is not Warren Buffett but that doesn't mean that we just pack it and go home.

Also, yes the kneeling doesn't have anything to do with Trump. It has to do with the police shootings of black people and it started before Trump got elected. The thing that has to do with Trump is that Trump is the President of the United States. As such he swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States - not the flag btw. Now in his position as president, oath sworn and all, he is advocating for people to be punished for peacefully exercising rights protected by the constitution and that's pretty messed up.

Guest MikeTheCannon

Effectively it is disrespectful to the country that allows you free speech.

The "free" part of "free speech" means you can be disrespectful. It's an inherent and integral part of the right.

Effectively it is disrespectful to the country that allows you free speech. America is a great nation and if you want to make positive changes it only takes will to do it.

It all goes back to those ignorant colonists. To dare question the Great Nation of England. Preposterous! If they simply possessed the proper strength of will, all their petty grievances would have been duly addressed!

Cheers

Cardboard

Cardboard, I was born and raised in Canada...I stand and salute the Canadian flag.  But I don't get upset if someone takes a knee, sits or stands for the flag...it's simply a representation of our country.  If someone did anything to hurt, destroy, attack or maim my actual country, citizen or not, then that is a different matter altogether.

The protesters are not hurting anyone.  They are simply exercising the rights they are given and own as citizens.  You don't have to agree with them, but you should allow them peaceful protest.

Now if you want to go kick some ass of these balaclava-covered idiots who break windows and attack people...have at it.  But what these athletes and others are doing should be accepted by all Americans...because freedom of expression through peaceful protest is essential to any free society.  Cheers!

"Patriotism is as moronic as it is popular in the states.

It is not universally accepted, in fact most educated people find it rather stupid.

As a belgian I'll root for our football team and brag about our beer, chocolate and fries. That's it, nothing more to be proud of and I certainly don't give a fuck about the flag."

LOL! So next time that the Germans seize your land we should stay home? Why bother if there is nothing to it?

You see that is the problem with all of you Liberals or I don't even know how to categorize you anymore.

When people travel, they want to see what is different elsewhere: culture, food, country side, etc. If it was the same as home, nobody would go anywhere. When one of my friend transferred and went to work in Belgium with his wife he certainly had a different conception of things than Mr. Paarslaars.

This is the beauty of our world or our differences. This is something that we should celebrate and not denigrate. The multi-culturalism vision seems to be about blending everyone into one boring mold. We already have artificial intelligence that is about to become just that.

So when people "protest" by showing a lack of respect to their flag, I find that disgusting. What they are doing is not blasting Trump or Obama or whomever but, pissing on the Constitution, people who built the country with their hard labour and what we are and the vision of what we are hoping to become.

Of course, what they are doing is attention getter and does drive some discussion but, it ends there. True "protesters" are guys like J.J. Watt or Walter Payton. These are people truly changing people's lives for the better.

So no, I am not gonna simply bend over and accept what these too high paid morons are doing in the name of free speech.

Cardboard 

LOL! So next time that the Germans seize your land we should stay home? Why bother if there is nothing to it?

'Nothing to it' is not the same as 'nothing to be irrationally proud of'.

I don't care if someone burns the belgian flag, I do care if someone hurts belgian people.

You see that is the problem with all of you Liberals or I don't even know how to categorize you anymore.

I am considered a strong conservative in my country.

Over here we do not taint the word conservative with notions that have nothing to do with politics (like patriotism, religion,...).

When people travel, they want to see what is different elsewhere: culture, food, country side, etc. If it was the same as home, nobody would go anywhere. When one of my friend transferred and went to work in Belgium with his wife he certainly had a different conception of things than Mr. Paarslaars.

Which is fair and everyone has the right to appriciate or be proud of the things they like.

Still, does not mean I should... nor should I become irrationally angry about something like this.

Don't get me wrong, I object to the kneeling... I do not think a sport event is the place to make these kind of statements.

In fact, I strongly oppose the voicing of political statements outside of the appropriate forum, as noone wants to be reminded of these things when enjoying their time off.

I just don't understand why you are getting so riled up about this.

So when people "protest" by showing a lack of respect to their flag, I find that disgusting. What they are doing is not blasting Trump or Obama or whomever but, pissing on the Constitution, people who built the country with their hard labour and what we are and the vision of what we are hoping to become.

Or owned people that did this.

So no, I am not gonna simply bend over and accept what these too high paid morons are doing in the name of free speech.

Why is it that the outrage is being directed at black athletes who are protesting?  I don't see the same outrage when Trump talks about how awful the country is and what a mess it is...he's pissing on it as well, isn't he? 

When Tebow takes a knee, it's in the name of God and praised...when a black athlete takes a knee, it's because he's being disrespectful and ungrateful. 

When a black person says he suffered police brutality, people ask where's the proof...when a white person sues for police brutality, it's a million dollar settlement.

If a person is high paid, does it mean they do not have the right to free speech?  Or is it only when that person is a black athlete?  Cheers!

Cheers

Cardboard

Not to put too fine a point on it but the fact that you and the youtube people are so fired up about this just means that the kneeling thing is working. That's the way that peaceful protest is supposed to go. And yes, Kaaoernick is no Dr. King but then Dr. King was one in a billion. Just like not every investor is not Warren Buffett but that doesn't mean that we just pack it and go home.

Also, yes the kneeling doesn't have anything to do with Trump. It has to do with the police shootings of black people and it started before Trump got elected. The thing that has to do with Trump is that Trump is the President of the United States. As such he swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States - not the flag btw. Now in his position as president, oath sworn and all, he is advocating for people to be punished for peacefully exercising rights protected by the constitution and that's pretty messed up.

Athletes protesting during the anthem (or game) are probably not exercising rights protected by the Constitution.  First Amendment is "Congress shall make no law..."  We do not have the Constitutional right to protest while at work and "on the clock."  NFL policy even states that players are to be on the field and to stand.  I recognize that Courts have held that students cannot be compelled to stand and salute the flag, so there is some gray area, but if a player was cut from a team he would probably not win a court case. 

Guest MikeTheCannon

I would guess that the vast majority of people on this forum are conservatives... they all just look like liberals from your vantage point because you've confused nationalism for conservatism.

Cheers

Cardboard

Athletes protesting during the anthem (or game) are probably not exercising rights protected by the Constitution.  First Amendment is "Congress shall make no law..."  We do not have the Constitutional right to protest while at work and "on the clock."  NFL policy even states that players are to be on the field and to stand.  I recognize that Courts have held that students cannot be compelled to stand and salute the flag, so there is some gray area, but if a player was cut from a team he would probably not win a court case. 

How many times have employees been fired when they strike?  It happens on occasion, but for the most part, employers don't fire striking employees, but sit at an arbitration table.  The protesters are doing the same thing...they want a dialogue.  Cheers!